Viva México

Nearly 8 weeks in Mexico, 1 week on the Riviera Maya by myself, 4 weeks volunteering on Cozumel Island and 2.5 weeks exploring Yucatan with Ina.

This trip was packed with enormously friendly people, superb nature and lots and lots of sunshine. I don't even know where to start...

- Casa Samay. From my host and her husband to my roommate, the time I spent, the people I met, everything exceeded my expectations.  

- Energy Dance: I am so glad I found this group online. They made me (the only gringa) feel so welcome and included me in their pictures, talks and whatsapp group.  Such friendly, fun and energetic ladies with an amazing instructor who seems to own her dance moves.

- Traveling Yucatan:

Cenotes: 
We've been swimming in various cenotes. Some rather basic but the one on the premises of Hacienda Sotuta de Peón was spectacular.  Completely underground it was more of a cave with rock formations.  Clear, sweet water, perfect temperature,  and below the water surface a wonderland that made you feel like a little explorer.

Laguna de Bacalar:
Upon arrival, I was a little disappointed as most of the waterfront was blocked by properties. A boat ride however revealed the true beauty of the lagoon and adjacent cenotes. All shapes of turquoise and emerald green. 

Animals:
Two raccoons,  5 crocodiles,  dozens of flamingos, countless iguanas,  pelikans, 2 kingfisher,  a manta ray, 3 dolphin,  ... hope I didn't forget anything. 

Maya Ruins:
We visited Uxmal (impressive pyramid) and Ek Balam (where you are allowed to climb the buildings).

Kayaking through the mangroves in Celestun was "genial", Valladolid a neat city to visit and explore, ...

The "getting there" was not always easy, but people were always willing to help, even though we sometimes had to ask a couple of times getting different answers.  In the end, we always made it, whether by pre-booked ADO buses, overflowing colectivos,  a private colectivo shuttle and a hitch hike with a US couple.

I am happy with how smoothly everything went, that my Spanish reappeared from the far back of my brain and the quality time I got to spent in Mexico!







































Comments