On the Trail of History

I never thought that I'd stand in front of my father's birth place and family house in Silesia. It feels a little unreal:
... walking in his footsteps ... from his house to the school building or the church
... standing under the tree where he played as a kid and fell off as a branch broke
... standing at the village meeting point where the kids met to go play
... visiting the church where he used to minister

It's good to finally take the time and ask questions about his childhood and teenage years. Getting a better understanding of how life was back in the fifties and sixties, in an area that was still Germany but under the administration of Poland. Learning about the second world war at school is one thing, but little did I think about or question the consequences that even my father had to bear.

My father's family house and the fields they used to farm
Meeting point "Gänsering"
Oberglogau - the city he went to high school for four years


Comments